The best way to care for your dental implants is to practice good oral hygiene. When properly cared for with good dental hygiene at home and regular visits with our dentists, implants can last as long as your natural teeth.
We recommend that you:
- Brush at least twice each day, or after every meal, using an ADA-approved soft-bristle toothbrush. Be sure to clean in and around all implant posts. You may find that an electric toothbrush is easier to use.
- Floss daily. You may need to use floss threaders or “superfloss” to run floss under implant supported bridges. We may also recommend special wide floss, depending on the structure of your implants.
- Consider using an interproximal brush in addition to regular brushing and flossing. These tiny brushes help clean difficult-to-reach areas of your teeth and mouth.
- Consider using an oral irrigator to reduce bacterial plaque accumulation. A special mouth rinse may also be recommended.
Contact Southport Dental immediately if you experience any of the following problems:
- Looseness in your dental implant
- Dull or sharp pain while chewing
- Swelling or redness in the gum surrounding your implant
To learn more about caring for your dental implants and to make an appointment with Dr. Larry Hemby and Dr. L.D. Williams in Southport, North Carolina, please call us today at 910-457-5026.